Personality disorders are a broad range of disorders where a person’s thinking patterns, mood patterns, interpersonal functioning, and/or impulse control are disrupted over a long period of time. Personality disorders are different from mood disorders, such as depression, because they have further reaching impacts on multiple areas of functioning. For instance, Borderline Personality Disorder is typically characterized by the following experiences: intense fear of abandonment, unstable relationships, unstable mood changes, suicidal or self-harming behaviors, and difficulty controlling anger.
Personality Disorders include:
- Borderline Personality Disorder
- Narcissistic Personality Disorder
- Antisocial Personality Disorder
- Paranoid Personality Disorder
- Schizoid Personality Disorder
- Schizotypal Personality Disorder
- Histrionic Personality Disorder
- Avoidant Personality Disorder
- Dependent Personality Disorder
- Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder
Even though personality disorders tend to be more resistant to change than some other types of disorders, therapy can have a big impact. For example, at Corner Canyon Counseling we provide therapy that integrates aspects of Dialectical Behavior Therapy, a treatment which has shown to be effective at reducing many of the disruptive behaviors associated with Borderline Personality Disorder. Other treatments have been shown to be effective at improving life quality with many of the disorders listed above. If you have concerns that you or a loved one may experience a personality disorder, speak with one of our trained staff today.