Treating Eating Disorders at Corner Canyon Counseling
Eating disorders affect around 30 million Americans at some point in their lives. Eating disorders are dangerous and potentially deadly conditions, which makes them a serious condition that needs to be dealt with promptly and with professionalism. At Corner Canyon Counseling, we have years of experience helping clients deal with eating disorders. With our help, many of them have overcome their conditions and continued on to live healthy lives that are free from the dangerous burden of eating disorders.
What Are Eating Disorders?
Eating disorders are conditions related to frequent unhealthy eating behaviors. Eating disorders include any food-related abuse, which is why there are so many different kinds. Some of the most common eating disorders include:
- Anorexia Nervosa is when a person restricts their calorie and food intake so much that they begin to lose an unhealthy amount of weight. In many people, it is caused by a distorted body image and a phobia of weight gain.
- Bulimia nervosa is a cycle of bingeing and purging. Binging is when a person consumes an abnormal amount of food in a short time, often feeling like they have no control over how much or how quickly they eat. Purging is when a person induces vomiting, misuses laxatives, fasts, exercises excessively, or participates in other unhealthy activities to compensate for the large amount of food they ate.
- Binge eating is characterized by eating unhealthy amounts of food at once, often to the point of discomfort. Usually, this is accompanied by a feeling of not being able to control how much or how quickly food is consumed.
Again, there are other forms of eating disorders, all of which are dangerous and should be treated before they result in serious injury or death. Any eating disorder can be dangerous and even deadly depending on its duration and severity. That is why it is so important that they are diagnosed and treated early. The earlier they are dealt with, the easier it is to treat them.
Treating Eating Disorders
All eating disorders are dangerous but they can all be overcome with the right help. At Corner Canyon Counseling, our team of experienced mental health professionals has years of professional experience helping our clients treat and overcome their eating disorders. We understand that no two people’s battle with eating disorders are the same, so the individual treatment methods we provide will depend on their needs and situation. Some of the methods that we commonly employ to help our patients include:
- Acceptance and commitment therapy
- Dialectical behavior therapy
- Interpersonal psychotherapy
- Cognitive remediation therapy
All of these treatment methods are evidence-based and have been shown to make significant positive impacts on people who suffer from eating disorders and help them lead healthy lives.
Let Us Help You
If you or a loved one is suffering from an eating disorder, do not wait to get the help you need. Come to Corner Canyon Counseling to get our help overcoming your eating disorder before it causes irreparable damage. We have the experience, knowledge, and resources you need to understand your disorder and eventually overcome it. You can live a life that is free from eating disorders, and we can help you create that life for yourself.