Everyone feels low at some point in life, but if you have clinical depression, these feelings are constant. Depression is usually worst in the morning and may make it difficult to work, study, take care of yourself and enjoy your friends and favorite activities. At Corner Canyon Counseling in Draper, Utah, we can help you overcome these consuming feelings of panic.
Symptoms of Depression
- Fatigue or loss of energy
- Feelings of worthlessness
- Problems with focus and concentration; inability to make decisions
- Insomnia or excessive sleeping
- Lack of interest in things that are otherwise enjoyable
- Withdrawal from others and social activities
- Psychomotor agitation (pacing, hand wringing, rubbing, inability to sit still}
- Retardation (slowed or softened speech, slowed thinking, slowed movement)
- Weight loss or gain
- Thoughts of death or suicide
- Anger and irritability, may include violence
- Decreased libido
Triggers of Depression
- Grief because of a loss –this can be death of a loved one, loss of employment, loss of financial status, divorce, separation, etc.
- Social isolation and loneliness
- Life changes – moving, job change, graduation, retirement, birth of a child, children leaving the home, etc.
- Personal conflicts in relationships
- Physical, sexual, emotional abuse
- Particular medications have depression listed as a possible side effect
- Hormonal changes
- Alcohol and drugs
Depression is diagnosed based on symptoms, though there are medical disorders and medications that can contribute to depression. For example, women who have just given birth often experience postpartum depression which turns into clinical depression. High blood pressure medications, hormone-altering drugs and stimulants are examples of drugs that can cause depression.
If you’re ready to beat depression, make an appointment with a therapist at Corner Canyon Counseling in Draper. Our licensed professionals can treat clinical depression through a blended combination of cognitive, behavioral, interpersonal and psychodynamic therapy. Medications are often prescribed in addition to therapy if needed, but therapy alone can often provide necessary relief. All of our counseling services are available to patients throughout the Salt Lake valley.